Friday 13 August 2010

Motivated through suffering

I'm now getting a better insight into suffering. Apart from getting me to recognise my need of help, the difficulties I got myself into when I was drinking were the main motivation for change in my life. My huge debt, for example, was what motivated me to get my career back on track to earn the money that eventually cleared them. Similarly, the fact that I'd caused such harm to my wife through my affair, etc, was what provided the resolve and sticktoitiveness that ultimately salvaged the marriage and gave us the wonderful and blessed relationship that we have together these days. I'm more convinced than ever that there are no wrong decisions. Apart, possibly, from picking up a drink. But then, again, there might be a blessing in that too - especially if I hadn't yet conceded to my innermost self that I was alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment