Sunday 14 November 2010

An idea for the world

As I thank Jennifer, Arthur, Roland, Sade Ali and all the dedicated and passionate staff at the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Behavioural Health & Mental Retardation Services (DBH/MRS) and all the various programme providers, recovery coaches, counsellors and, most importantly, the PIRs themselves, for their incredible welcome and endless kindnesses to me during my two weeks stay in Philadelphia, here’s an idea for the world, courtesy of Dr Roland Lamb:

“I’d like to share with you an idea - an idea for the world.

A message of recovery (as we understand it in the field of addiction) is a message for everyone.

In regard to diabetes, cancer, heart disease, asthma, high blood pressure, for example, all have a recovery focus - a focus that allows people to be in support of each other; to support their mutual recoveries. A support, that extends beyond the treatment, and the doctor; that goes beyond the hospital intervention; and beyond even the medication.

I would like to suggest that we, all of us, get together to begin to talk about a universal concept of recovery - and principles of recovery that extend beyond the use of drugs; beyond the use of alcohol - to the overall population across the world.”

******************************************************

Incidentally, it doesn’t take new money to introduce such a concept – just a willingness to change our attitudes! And don’t let us ever, ever think we cannot change and improve!

I’ve now arrived in Washington D. C. Today I’ve spent sightseeing. I left my hotel room at 8am this morning and I’ve just now returned a few minutes ago at 8.45pm.

Did you know that George Washington had a secretary names Kennedy who tried to dissuade him from going to the Ford Theatre on the night he was assassinated? And, did you know that John F. Kennedy had a secretary names Washington who tried to dissuade him from visiting Dallas where he was assassinated? Funny old world isn’t it!

Tomorrow, bright and early at 7.30am, I’m being collected from my hotel by Pat Taylor, Executive Director of Faces & Voices of Recovery, and we’ll be travelling to Annapolis to attend a state-wide community forum on Recovery.

Faces &Voices’ goals, incidentally, are to celebrate and honour recovery in all its diversity; to foster advocacy skills in the tradition of American advocacy movements; and to produce principles, language, strategy and leadership to carry the movement forward.

And judging from what I’ve witnessed recently, I’d say they’ve been doing a pretty good job of it!

Right, I’m off to bed.

What music am I listening tonight? Will Young, singing ‘Changes’!

And I’ve bought another book. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. My excuse? Well, the relation of personal morality to political morality, and the way some people try to separate the two, intrigues me greatly.

Yes, I did get to a meeting – and shared. I also attended two Catholic Church services – and I’m no Catholic! And last night I enjoyed the most fantastic and expensive T-bone steak. As my old sponsor used to tell me, “Be good to yourself, Wynford. You’re worth it!”

Sleep tight everyone. Nos dawch. Cysgwch yn dawel.

No comments:

Post a Comment